50th Anniversary Commemorative Climb
Climbers! This is your opportunity to participate in a sure to be historic climb. Commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the climb that led to the formation of our humble climbing club. Plan now to spend Memorial Day weekend driving down to Mt Shasta in northern California!
- Destination: Mt. Shasta
- Date: May 25-27, 2013
- Climbers: BCC or equivalent skills
- Questions / Sign-up: Contact Membership
A lot has changed in 50 years. One of those changes is a 10 person party limit on Mt Shasta. Another is the price of gasoline and chartered buses. For these reasons, we will not be able to rent a bus and all climb as one big party. The initial plan is for Sunday May 26 to be summit day. This allows for making the long drive down on Friday night and/or Saturday and the drive back to Seattle on Monday. (The 1963 party did the climb as a one day push with 7000 feet of elevation gain.)
- Friday May 24: Arrive at Bunny Flat trailhead (6880’) stay here or hike in 1.7 miles to horse camp to acclimatize
- Saturday May 25: Hike up to Helen Lake base camp (10,443’)
- Sunday May 26: Summit and decend to cars
- Monday May 27: Drive back to Seattle
You are more than welcome to use this climb plan or do something a little different with Sunday as you summit day. This is often done as a day climb and also a ski decent.